The DBJ channels loan funding primarily through AFIs, whose roles include:
- Evaluating the financial strength and creditworthiness of project promoters and determine its willingness to extend the requested credit.
- Establishing the terms, maturity and security/collateral requirements to satisfy its credit determination.
- Providing regular supervision of the project through site visits.
- Managing the loan account and liaising with the client.
LIST OF DBJ’s APPROVED FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS
GENERAL ELIGIBILITY FOR DBJ AFIs LOANS
DBJ’s approval will be conditional on projects being considered for loans meeting the following criteria:
- Business must be registered and operating in Jamaica.
- The project should be financially viable & technically feasible
- Enterprises should be tax compliant
- The project will make a positive contribution to the economic development by:
- Employment generation
- Foreign exchange earnings and/or savings
- Promotion of new businesses and expansion of existing enterprises for economic growth
- Creating linkages with other sectors
- Facilitating energy conservation
- Facilitating high utilization of local raw materials
The DBJ’s aim is to facilitate the growth and development of all viable enterprises in the Jamaican economy which includes:
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
- RETAIL AND DISTRIBUTION
- Construction of structures (such as buildings and pens)
- Establishment of crops and livestock enterprises
- Expansion or modification of structures
- Purchase of machinery and equipment
- Purchase of moveable fixed assets
- Working capital
- Rehabilitation/Renovation of existing enterprises
- Energy conservation, efficiency and renewable energy
- Tourist attraction and wellness projects