The National Education Trust (NET) will be seeking to identify private sector provider(s) to undertake the financing, installation and maintenance of photovoltaic generation systems in a pilot project of 30 select secondary schools. It is envisaged that the project will be implemented under an Energy Service Company (ESCO) model with payment to the private sector being made from savings.
The objectives of the project are to:
- Reduce the energy cost to the schools by 40-70% and, ultimately, to reduce the fiscal burden of the Government of Jamaica.
- Create an energy conservation and efficiency education programme simultaneously
- To demonstrate the model for effective replicability throughout the school system
- The potential for replicability within the entire school system
- Multi-lateral interest in financing for renewable energy projects
Cabinet approved the project proceeding to the transaction stage. The Request for Qualification (RfQ) was issued in December 2017.
The Request for Qualification (RfQ) was re-issued on April 18, 2018. The deadline for the submission of bids has been extended from May 15, 2018 to May 29, 2018.