The Development Bank of Jamaica provides loans for Micro, Small & Medium-sized Enterprises (MSMEs) with annual revenues of up to $150 million and fewer than 50 employees.
The DBJ channels loan funding primarily through AFIs, whose roles include:
DBJ will approve loans to business entities operating in Jamaica and engaged in viable businesses in the productive and services sectors of the Jamaican economy which include, but are not limited to:
- energy efficiency and alternative energy solutions
- information & communications technology
- infrastructure; manufacturing
- mining; business process outsourcing
- animation; creative industries – film, entertainment & music
- services; tourism (attractions, accommodations, health tourism, eco-tourism)
- retail and distribution (for small and medium-sized enterprises only).
DBJ’s approval will be conditional on projects being considered for loans meeting the following criteria:
- Business must be registered and operating in Jamaica.
- The project should be financially viable & technically feasible.
- Enterprises should be tax compliant.
- The project will make a positive contribution to the economic development by:
- Employment generation ◦Foreign exchange earnings and/or savings
- Promotion of new businesses and expansion of existing enterprises for economic growth
- Creating linkages with other sectors
- Facilitating energy conservation ◦Facilitating high utilization of local raw materials
The DBJ will approve loans to business entities operating in Jamaica for the purpose of:
- Construction of structures (for productive purposes)
- Establishment of crops & livestock
- Expansion/modification of structures
- Purchase of machinery & equipment
- Purchase of movable fixed assets
- Permanent working capital
- Rehabilitation/renovation of existing enterprises
- Energy efficiency projects
- Tourist attractions & wellness projects
- To acquire commercial real estate
- Motor vehicles for use in the business
The DBJ’s debt to equity ratio requirement is a minimum of 70:30 for large enterprises with annual revenues more than J$425M. These enterprises can therefore borrow 70% of the cost of the project. For MSMEs, the DBJ will finance up to 90% of the project cost.
For energy loans, 75% of loan funding is available to large enterprises and 90% to MSMEs.
The DBJ offers:
- Competitive interest rates on loans denominated in both Jamaican and US dollars.
- Flexible loan tenures based on cash flow.
- DBJ will not lend to sub-borrowers for the acquisition of businesses.
- The DBJ does not provide financing for speculative purposes such as real estate and construction of property for rental or leasing.
- The DBJ does not facilitate overdrafts or revolving lines of credit.
The DBJ does not facilitate refinancing; however, consideration will be given for expenditure made by the project up to twelve (12) months prior to the date of submission to the DBJ.
Commitment fees – 1% plus GCT (An annual recommitment fee of 1% plus GCT is chargeable on undrawn balances)