Waste Management Reform Programme

Overview &  Description:

The Government, through the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development (MLGRD), is seeking to engage the private sector to develop integrated solid waste management facilities through public-private participation on Design, Build, Finance, Operate and Transfer (DBFOT) basis for the development, operation, maintenance, and management of the project assets, including waste collection/transportation, temporary storage and sorting, waste-to-energy and sanitary landfilling.

Key Highlights

  • Jamaica generates approximately 1,000,000 tons of residential       waste annually of which as much as 60 percent is attributed to the Kingston Metropolitan Area (KMA).
  • Approximately 70 percent  of  the  total waste  generated  in  the  country  is collected, while a remaining 30 percent is disposed of in an unsustainable manner.
  • Generating energy (35-50 MV plant is possible) from the waste as well   as the  management of waste collection, treatment and disposal, thereby providing alternative (renewable) energy source and improving the state of the environment.

Current Status:

Due diligence process underway.